October 07, 2007

Goudey Trade-away #35: Rice for Posada



This trade comes in from Kevin in Vancouver, Washington.

Giving: Jorge Posada, #175
Getting: Jim Rice, 1984 Donruss

There was a character on Sesame Street named Sully, who was a garbageman. He appeared in episodes where Oscar the Grouch's garbage can had to be moved, so that Oscar could take part in sing-a-longs, etc.

Sully was actually one of the more complex Muppets, as he was a full-body Muppet (the Muppeteer was inside the costume), plus – and I'm still not entirely sure how this worked – another Muppeteer had to have access to a travel version of Oscar the Grouch and his garbage can. Like many people in my generation, not only do I completely glaze over when Sesame Street is on TV, but I find the detail and technical work behind the creation of the Muppets just amazing.

The list of instances that prove Jim Henson was so far ahead of the game is endless. If I could boil it down to just one performance, watch the episode of The Muppet Show with Zero Mostel as guest host. Few could match Mostel in terms of screen presence, but here Henson's wizardry goes toe-to-toe, playing to Mostel's strengths as the perfect complement.

The reason all of this is important is because whenever I look at Jorge Posada, all I see is Sully the Garbageman.

No comments: