January 23, 2008

The Goudey Trade-away That Time Forgot

I just found this post in my drafts folder... Not sure why it was never posted. Originally from October 17, 2007.

Goudey Trade-away #46: Tekulve and Bottalico for Mulder and Vidro

This trade comes in from Nic in Wausau, Wisconsin.

Giving: Mark Mulder, #75; Jose Vidro, #187 (red back)
Getting: Ricky Bottalico, 1997 Collector's Choice; Kent Tekulve, 1988 Score

These two cards I'm getting in this trade are really out there. Hey! Which way to the beach? Also, that background on the Tekulve card is freaking me out. Is he pitching inside a kaleidoscope?

Or is his windup so powerful that he's about to fall backwards off a bridge into the Delaware River at sunset? Gotta love any pitcher whose games played stat line reads like an NBA starter. Teke was pretty tall, too (6'4"). He probably could been a backup shooting guard for the Sixers if Andrew Toney got injured. Kent would come prepared: He could provide his own striped knee-highs.

4 comments:

Andy said...

That really IS a freaky background on the Tekulve card. I guess that's the edge of the grandstand up against a batter's eye or a tunnel or something.

Anonymous said...

That's the right field corner at the old Veterans Stadium. The stands overhang the area where the grounds crew enter the field; with the home bullpen to the left.

Anonymous said...

Surprised to see my trade-away finally make it on the site! Pleasantly surprised!

I had 1,000s of cards to choose from, but these 2 really stood out. Ben, I am glad you thought they were out there, they are.. Believe me I put some thought into these.. Hope everyone enjoys..

Anonymous said...

"Don't forget Mahk Muldah!!"