October 27, 2010

Spuds MacKnowledge


Chris Sabo, 1989 Fleer

I think I know enough about Chris Sabo. Maybe not as much as his mother (is she still alive? I have no idea) or his wife (did he ever marry? Beats me), but still. I know he played for the Cincinnati Reds, and helped them win a title in 1990, and that he played third base, and that his name was Chris Sabo. In fact, yeah, ya’ know what? I’m feeling pretty confident right now. Quiz me:



DID YOU KNOW?

Did YOU know? Shut-up! What’s the question?

Nickname is Spuds…

Yeah, I knew that! Well, kind of. I think I knew that at some point, but maybe I forgot or something. Thank you though, for the detailed explanation as to why he was called Spuds. Sheesh. It’s not like you don’t have enough room there in your “Did you know?” box. Let’s go to the source:

Reds manager Pete Rose gave Sabo the nickname “Spuds” during his rookie season in 1988, citing a resemblance to a bull terrier character in Bud Light commercials named Spuds MacKenzie.


.............................

Reds jog back into dugout after Chris Sabo makes a diving stop at third to end the inning

Pete Rose: Hey, nice play there…SPUDS! Looks around at rest of team for confirmation of his hilarity. Rest of team appears confused, several of the younger players laugh awkwardly, fearful they will be sent to Triple-A.

Chris Sabo: Than– wait, are you talking to me?

Rose: Yeah, yeah. I’m talking to you. You’re Spuds now! Get it?

Sabo: Not really. What?

Rose: You’re Spuds! Like Spuds MacKenzie -- that dog from the commercials. You look just like him! You got slanty dog eyes! Nobody ever told you that? Ha, ha…

Sabo: No, ummm…nobody ever told me that I look like a dog. But thanks. Just to be sure though, you’re talking about that dog, right? Points to Spuds MacKenzie poster hanging in dugout next to that day’s lines.

Rose: Yeah! Ha, ha! That dog is great, isn’t he?

Sabo: Skip, are you drinking Bud Light right now?

Rose: Geez, Spuds -- it’s the sixth inning already! The game’s almost over. What do you want from me?

End scene.

.............................

Selected to NL All-Star team as rookie in 1988…


I think I knew that, in 1988. However, based on his pre- and post-All Star Game splits listed at the bottom of the card, I’m thinking that Chris Sabo should’ve never gotten off the hammock. Also, since he was an All-Star, did he sleep on the hammock during the game? I am confused.

Led Reds with 46 stolen bases in 1988…


I’m not sure if I ever knew that, but that is pretty darn good. I feel like I’m learning a lot about Chris Sabo today. This is a wonderful game. Tell me something else, and I will figure out if I knew that information already, and if I did, then I win! If I didn’t, then you win, but I learned, so I win, too! Go!

Wears glasses in field.


WHAT????!!!!!! I NEVER KNEW THAT EVER EXCEPT FOR EVERY TIME I HAVE EVER LOOKED AT HIM INCLUDING THE TIME I SAW THIS AD AND ALSO THE TIME I LOOKED AT THIS VERY CARD!!!! THIS INFORMATION IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

The Junior Junkie said...

Even his Donruss Diamond King painting (1990, I think) features the classic Sabo rec-specs. To this day I have no idea what this man really looks like, but I do know his eyes are just the worst....