September 17, 2008

The Tao of Fred McGriff - Day 5

A job I've always enjoyed is planning. In college I did the advertising and promotional planning for my school's campus movie theater, and one of my responsibilities at my old job was media planning for a variety of the firm's clients (media planning refers to deciding where and when an ad will run). In my new job I'll be doing more of the same, which is fine by me. There's just something about planning an event and then sitting back and watching it be a success that is exciting to me. I guess I've got a behind-the-scenes streak.

You could make an argument that McGriff's career was all about excelling behind the scenes. Before winning the 1995 World Series as part of the Atlanta Braves, McGriff's defining achievement came in 1990, when he was traded by the Blue Jays to the Padres (with Tony Fernandez) for Joe Carter and Roberto Alomar. That was, without a doubt, one of the premier trades (if not the trade) of the early Nineties. And it wouldn't have happened without Fred McGriff.

No comments: