January 27, 2008

New Links

I mentioned in an earlier post that it takes me literally forever to correspond with people. The same is true for updating this site. That said, today I've added a few new links to the blogroll. They are:

88 Topps Blog
A very funny look at the glory that is 1988 Topps. Still one of the most under-rated sets of its decade.

The Ball and Puck Club
Chuck just joined us at A Pack A Day, so I thought it would probably be good to add him here as well.

The Ugly Baseball Card Blog
When I started The Baseball Card Blog, nobody was actively blogging about baseball cards. And when thinking of a title for the site, I chose its name because I couldn't think of a witty blog name (and though dormant at the time, 'Stale Gum' was already taken). I was writing for myself, but I also wanted readers. So how do you get readers when you don't have any and there aren't other baseball card blogs out there? I went with a generic title that search engines would love. I lobbied sportswriters and other bloggers to take a look and maybe link to the site. This is all basic stuff, obviously, but with an easy-to-remember blog name that didn't get in the way of the writing, it was that much easier. (Today The Blog gets almost 40% of its visitors from high organic search engine rankings.)

Why am I bringing this up now? Because although derivative in its title, 'The Ugly Baseball Card Blog' gets the point. You don't have to be privy to an inside joke or familiar with sports terminology to immediately understand what it's about.

Wax Heaven
I think the writer of this site emailed me a long time ago about links, but I just never got around to it. Oh well, hope he doesn't hold a grudge.

No comments: