October 21, 2006

Appreciation: Joe Rudi

There have been quite a few major leaguers throughout history whose facial characteristics were Muppet-esque. Ken Phelps and his Inspector Gadget-like disguise mustache perhaps the most recent example. But if we dig a little deeper back we come across Joe Rudi, who definitely moonlighted as a backup saxophonist in the Electric Mayhem.

I don't know why I'm suddenly all about collecting Rudi's cards, but here we are. I think it has something to do with him being one of those great players who either nobody knows about or cares about today. It's an unjust fate, is what it is. Can you imagine if this guy was on the Red Sox in the Seventies? I think they would've been back in the Series at least once more.

I just picked up his 1975 card, and I have to hand it to Topps. Even though Joe was on the A's the year before, it still looks like his hat was airbrushed with the A's logo. Maybe they were just getting some practice in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know Joe Rudi all too well. He made a leaping catch in the 7th game of the '72 series that helped defeat the Reds. I remember that every time I see his name.