July 25, 2006

The Fantastic Card of the Day

March 15, 1977

Dear Mama,

Tomorrow is photo day. Yes, I’m excited. Who wouldn’t be? I cannot forget to go pick up my uniform from the dry cleaners before my photo. I will not forget. I know you would be angry if I didn’t have my uniform perfect. I will not make you the laughingstock of Havana with a dirty uniform. I will not let you down.

Tito



March 17, 1977

Dear Mama,

Yesterday was photo day. I know what you are going to say—yes, my uniform was clean, but I forgot to pick it up at the dry cleaners, so it was clean on the rack in the store! It was late when I remembered to go there. We were losing our exhibition game but I tied it when I stole home…Coach was so surprised to see me keep running past home and down the street! The store closed as I ran there. But I got a sandwich on the run back to the park. I am eating okay, so don’t worry about that.

For photo day, my friend Rusty let me borrow his uniform and hat. He’s a little bigger than me, so it’s a little loose. Tell Magalys and Richei not to worry, though. I made sure they’d know it was still me.

I hope I didn’t close my eyes.

Tito

No comments: